Where's the Source Code

Edward Ned Harvey (bouncycastle)

I would like to suggest that http://bouncycastle.org should be updated, to include links to the source code (or if links already exist somewhere on that page, make them more prominent).

Right now, when I look there, I don't easily find it, so I google for "bouncy castle source code" and find the following stackoverflow question, in which someone asks where to find the bouncy castle source code, and answer that suggests google'ing for "bouncy castle source code." Fortunately they provide links.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19904870/where-can-i-find-the-bouncy-castle-source-code

Re: Where's the Source Code

Jon Eaves
It's always been http://bouncycastle.org/latest_releases.html for as
long as I can remember.

Probably the only thing we could do is add "Source Code" link to that
page and link to the latest_releases page with an anchor at that point.
The problem with that is that it becomes messy with the Java and C#
variants.

I'm not 100% sure of the value, especially given that (historically) the
number of people who have cared about the source is pretty low and as
it's next to the classes (as JARs) then it's been trivial.

Anyway - food for thought. Thanks for the feedback !

Cheers,
        -- jon

On 4/08/2016 22:46, Edward Ned Harvey (bouncycastle) wrote:

> I would like to suggest that http://bouncycastle.org should be updated,
> to include links to the source code (or if links already exist somewhere
> on that page, make them more prominent).
>

> Right now, when I look there, I don't easily find it, so I google for
> "bouncy castle source code" and find the following stackoverflow
> question, in which someone asks where to find the bouncy castle source
> code, and answer that suggests google'ing for "bouncy castle source
> code." Fortunately they provide links.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19904870/where-can-i-find-the-bouncy-castle-source-code

RE: Where's the Source Code

Edward Ned Harvey (bouncycastle)
> From: Jon Eaves [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> It's always been http://bouncycastle.org/latest_releases.html for as
> long as I can remember.

I knew, that a long time ago, I had found it - so I knew it was there. But when you know what you're looking for, you shouldn't need to read everything on the page, or search for it. People look for, and search page for, the words "download" and "source code." I *do* recommend at least adding the words "source code" to the website.

The way I would recommend doing it is this:

On the Java page http://bouncycastle.org/java.html , I'd recommend saying something like "You can always download the latest release (http://bouncycastle.org/latest_releases.html ), or check out the source code (https://github.com/bcgit/bc-java )."

On the C# page http://bouncycastle.org/csharp/index.html I'd recommend saying something like "You can always download the latest release from this page, or via NuGet, or check out the source code (https://github.com/bcgit/bc-csharp )."

Thanks for paying attention, and thanks for producing BC in the first place!  :-)

> I'm not 100% sure of the value, especially given that (historically) the
> number of people who have cared about the source is pretty low and as
> it's next to the classes (as JARs) then it's been trivial.

This may be a self-fulfilling prophecy. People don't download it because it's hard to find, so they google for it, and get the answer from stackoverflow instead.