Unable to sign more than one message with GMSSSigner (java)

Unable to sign more than one message with GMSSSigner (java)

Mr Ramych
Generalized merkle signature scheme (GMSS) is designed to sign many messages, but it's java realization does not allow to do that. In class org.bouncycastle.pqc.crypto.gmss.GMSSSigner in method initSign() last line #212 (bcprov-jdk15on 1.56) mark any private key as used so it can not be reused anymore (it can be used with same GMSSSigner instance, but new GMSSSigner instance will not allow use it throwing exception).
Why this line of code was added and wnen it will be fixed?

Mr_Ramych

Re: Unable to sign more than one message with GMSSSigner (java)

David Hook

I believe this was originally done due to the limit. I think fixing it would require extending the API to accommodate maintaining a key limit - as private keys might persist between JVM invocations, a bit of thought might be needed on this.

At the moment I'd recommend adding this to Jira, along with any other details you have. I'm not sure when it's likely to get fixed - we have a few more pressing things to deal with at the moment.