Quantcast

Java Release 1.48 is now available for download.

Java Release 1.48 is now available for download.

Jon Eaves
Hi all,

I'm sure many of you thought we'd fallen off the face of the earth. No, we're all here, we've been working as much as we can on
BouncyCastle, but for probably the first time in the history of the project, we've had a number of non-crypto related issues to
work with.  Thanks for all your patience, and we hope this release makes up a little for the delay in producing it.

However, the good news is that this release includes further clean up work, and the PEM API is now fully usable via operator
interfaces similar to what were added for CMS/OpenPGP in the previous release (a PEMParser class has been added for reading).
The SHA3 family of digests is now supported, as is the DSTU-4145-2002 signature algorithm. A new post-quantum provider (BCPQ)
has been added with support for the Rainbow signature algorithm and the McEliece family of encryption algorithms. In addition,
this release adds support for auto-generation of ephemeral keys in IES. A 1.47 regression in key wrapping using symmetric PBE
has been fixed as well as a number of other bugs and the TLS/SSL API has been updated to avoid the issues raised by the "Lucky
Thirteen" attack.

If you are using the BC TLS/SSL API we strongly recommend upgrading to this release.

For more details go to our latest releases page:

http://www.bouncycastle.org/latest_releases.html

And for those who like living on the bleeding edge, the betas can be downloaded from:

http://www.bouncycastle.org/betas/

A porting guide for this release from earlier ones is at:

http://www.bouncycastle.org/wiki/display/JA1/Porting+from+earlier+BC+releases+to+1.47+and+later

We have also now started a new documentation project which is aiming to produce an eBook covering the changes to the Bouncy
Castle APIs and providing some clearer answers and examples to people's questions. You can find an initial draft as well as an
associated mailing list, and feedback address at:

http://www.cryptoworkshop.com/guide/

Finally, we would like to thank the people at Oracle for promptly renewing our JCE signing certificate, as we belatedly realized
our current one was going to expire in less than six months, and we would also like to thank iText Software for making a licence
for their PDF library available to Crypto Workshop to allow us to begin the documentation project.

Please note, make sure that beta feedback is sent to the [hidden email] address, and not the general mailing list