Exception "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/bouncycastle/jce/X509Principal"

Exception "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/bouncycastle/jce/X509Principal"

Douglas Pasqua
I was having problems with ssl certificate when connecting with a secure websocket using Java 8 with Jetty. So after searching about the problem I discovered BouncyCastle implementation and now I am using the following code before I make the connections:

Security.insertProviderAt(new BouncyCastleProvider(), 1);

After insert the code and trust all certificates using TrustManager I was able to connect successfully and everything works in my development environment using Eclipse. My application makes other connections besides the websocket. I am also using apache httpcompoents and HttpsURLConnection.

The problem happens when I distribute my application using Java Web Start (jnlp). I using bcprov-ext-jdk15on-156.jar. The Exception occurs when I start from jnlp:

The class org/bouncycastle/jce/X509Principal exists in bcprov-ext-jdk15on-156.jar but is deprecated. Where can be the problem?

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/bouncycastle/jce/X509Principal
	at org.bouncycastle.jcajce.provider.asymmetric.x509.X509CertificateObject.getSubjectDN(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.deploy.security.CertUtils.extractSubjectAliasName(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.deploy.security.CertUtils.getServername(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.deploy.security.TrustDeciderDialog.showDialog(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.deploy.security.X509TrustManagerDelegate.checkTrusted(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.deploy.security.X509Extended7DeployTrustManagerDelegate.checkServerTrusted(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.deploy.security.X509Extended7DeployTrustManager.checkServerTrusted(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.processMessage(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.processLoop(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.process_record(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source)
	at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsClient.afterConnect(Unknown Source)
	at sun.net.www.protocol.https.AbstractDelegateHttpsURLConnection.connect(Unknown Source)
	at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsURLConnectionImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
	at br.com.company.baba.xx.login.LoginDoBBAbstract.getCodigoAutorizacao(LoginDoBBAbstract.java:125)
	at br.com.xx.aop.sala.b.a.b(Unknown Source)
	at br.com.xx.aop.sala.b.a$2.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.bouncycastle.jce.X509Principal
	at com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	... 56 more
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertificateException: Java couldn't trust Server
	at sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Unknown Source)
[...]
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertificateException: Java couldn't trust Server
	... 49 more

Re: Exception "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/bouncycastle/jce/X509Principal"

Douglas Pasqua
thanks David!

I think there is no another version of Bouncy Castle in the classpath. When I execute the application from command line, everything goes well. But when I launch from java web start, the problem occurs. I have tested in more than one client (windows and Linux).

I have successfully solved my problem. (I think is not the best way, but it's solved).

This is a basic flow of application:

Load Bouncy Castle provider -> exchange some messages with a websocket (wss) -> do others requests using HttpsURLConnection

The exception ocurrs when I use HttpsURLConnection. But:

The websocket with Jetty works and the apache httpcomponents works too.

I only need Bouncy Castle provider to connect with websocket. So, when websocket is finished I remove the Bouncy Castle provider and my application flows correctly. This is how I am dealing with the problem.

Regards,