Encryption with DSA public key

JXR

Encryption with DSA public key

JXR
Hi, everyone:

I wonder if there's a way to do encryption with a DSA
public key (Generated in PGP) in BC?

I realized that this request is rather unusual, since
DSA is a digital signiture algorithm, and BC refuses
to use it for encryption. But I heard there is a way
to use DSA public key in encryption, but the details
are sketchy. So I wonder if someone could enlighten me
on this and supply some pointers on how to do this in
BC?

Thanks

Jim

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Encryption with DSA public key

Larry Bugbee
Generally speaking, DSA cannot/should not be used for encryption.

While it is technically possible to use the algorithm to encrypt, you
have to be in control of several parameters.  It seems more trouble
than it is worth.  More at...
   http://cypherpunks.venona.com/date/1998/12/msg00290.html

On Sep 5, 2005, at 1:31 AM, JXR wrote:

> Hi, everyone:
>
> I wonder if there's a way to do encryption with a DSA
> public key (Generated in PGP) in BC?
>
> I realized that this request is rather unusual, since
> DSA is a digital signiture algorithm, and BC refuses
> to use it for encryption. But I heard there is a way
> to use DSA public key in encryption, but the details
> are sketchy. So I wonder if someone could enlighten me
> on this and supply some pointers on how to do this in
> BC?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Encryption with DSA public key

Ken Ballou
JXR wrote:
> Hi, everyone:
>
> I wonder if there's a way to do encryption with a DSA
> public key (Generated in PGP) in BC?

You probably already know this, but it is almost certain that the PGP
DSA key will have an encryption subkey that uses the ElGamal encryption
algorithm.  It is much more common to use the encryption subkey than to
try to wrestle with using DSA for encryption.

                                        - Ken

JXR

--- Ken Ballou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> JXR wrote:
> > Hi, everyone:
> >
> > I wonder if there's a way to do encryption with a
> DSA
> > public key (Generated in PGP) in BC?
>
> You probably already know this, but it is almost
> certain that the PGP
> DSA key will have an encryption subkey that uses the
> ElGamal encryption
> algorithm.  It is much more common to use the
> encryption subkey than to
> try to wrestle with using DSA for encryption.

Well thank you! Actually I don't know this fact (don't
know much about PGP keyring structure), this really
helps me, thanks again!

Jim

http://mail.yahoo.com