Quantcast

Developing PGP/MIME support

Robin de Rooij
Hi,

I've been looking at Java implementations for PGP/MIME. I found this:
http://jpgpmime.sourceforge.net/ But it is not updated since 2013 and
requires the external GnuPG.

Since there is already S/MIME support in BouncyCastle, I've come to the
idea of developing PGP/MIME support in BouncyCastle and contribute it to
the BouncyCastle project. Is this a good idea? How feasible is it? Any
tips on starting? I think that the S/MIME support already gives a good
start, and the OpenPGP algorithms are already implemented in BouncyCastle.

Yours sincerely,

Robin

Re: Developing PGP/MIME support

David Hook-3
It doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I'm not sure how good the SMIME API would be as a guide to doing it
though. I'd start with the simplest message format you can - probably an
encrypted one would be the best. Email me if you have any questions.