BouncyCastle and FIPS Seminar

Arshad Noor
Hi,

StrongAuth and CERTOSS - a US-based non-profit organization for the
certification of open-source software - are sponsoring a free, one-
day seminar in Cupertino, CA on Thursday Sept 22nd 2016, to educate
Java programmers on how to use a new BC JAR library that expects to
receive FIPS 140-2 Level 1 certification imminently (it has passed
all the certification tests according to BC, and is awaiting a NIST
review of the results).

The use of this new JAR file can help companies using cryptographic
libraries in their applications claim they are complying with US FAR
in the use of a FIPS certified module for cryptographic processing
(when used in the stipulated manner).

David Hook of the Legion of the BouncyCastle, and author of the well
known book on Cryptography with Java (Wrox), will be conducting this
seminar.

There are a limited number of seats available for people interested
in attending, on a first-come-first-served basis.  Requirements for
attendees are:

- Must be a Java programmer;
- Must be using, or have used, JCE (content of the seminar will be
   similar to what's depicted in this document:
   http://bouncycastle.org/fips/BCUserGuide.pdf
- Once registered, must commit to attending so as not to waste a
   valuable seat that might deprive another of the opportunity to
   attend.

If interested, please send your name, title, company and contact
information to info @ strongauth.com requesting to be included.

Coffee and lunch will be served (mostly sandwiches, but for those
with dietary restrictions, there are many eating places within a
5 minute walk of the venue).

There is no fee to attend; but only one person from a company will
be accepted.

Thank you.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.

P.S.  If the seminar fills up and you cannot get in, David will be
in the StrongAuth booth at JavaOne (Sept 19-21) in San Francisco.
Feel free to stop by and chat with him; I'm confident he'll be
delighted to talk about BC, FIPS and how you can make better use
of BC JARs in your applications.

RE: BouncyCastle and FIPS Seminar

Pellerin, Clement
What is the target audience?
- Java developers new to BouncyCastle
- or seasoned BouncyCastle developers that need to know more about the FIPS upgrade?

Re: BouncyCastle and FIPS Seminar

Arshad Noor
The people who are likely to get the most out of this seminar are Java
developers who have previously worked with JCE/JCA from the JDK, BC or
any other provider.  The seminar is not an introduction to JCE, but
more of what the FIPS library entails that standard JCE libraries do
not provide.

Hope that helps.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.

On 09/13/2016 06:52 AM, Pellerin, Clement wrote:

> What is the target audience?
> - Java developers new to BouncyCastle
> - or seasoned BouncyCastle developers that need to know more about the FIPS upgrade?

David Hook

I can confirm that - you would be scratching your head a lot if you
wanted to learn about the JCA/JCE from the seminar.

I'd say you wouldn't need much prior exposure to Bouncy Castle (in terms
of bcprov) though - the low-level FIPS API is quite different from the
light-weight API and while there are a couple of provider dependent
classes at the JCA/JCE provider level, the look and feel of the provider
operations is similar to what you would see with any other Java
cryptography provider.