Beginning Cryptography with Java

yhetheridge
I just received my Amazon.com copy of David Hook's book, "Beginning
Cryptography with Java", Wiley Publishing, ISBN-13:978-0-7645-9633-9 &
ISBN-10: 0-7645-9633-0.  I highly recommend that BouncyCastle users,
cryptographic application developers, or Java security developers buy
and study the book.  It not only provides an excellent user's guide to
BC, but it also provides a straightforward description of modern-day
cryptographic methods.  I've already solved several ASN.1 devlopment
issues via text explanations.

Well done, David!

Thanks,

yhe

Re: Beginning Cryptography with Java

David Hook-4

Thanks! (And phew! There were times where I was wondering if I'd just
spent 450 pages writing "I am a fish!").

Funnily I haven't seen a copy yet, I imagine they're still swimming
across the Pacific, but the electronic resources associated with the
book are now available on the web also. For anyone who's interested I've
added a link to the examples off

http://www.bouncycastle.org/resources.html

PS. On the subject of books, another personal favorite of mine is
"Practical Cryptography" by Ferguson and Schneier. Some people don't
like the book, in some places it can seem a little high handed and even
confusing, but it is a book that forces you to think about the more
insidious issues involved with cryptography.

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 14:44 -0400, Young H. Etheridge wrote:

> I just received my Amazon.com copy of David Hook's book, "Beginning
> Cryptography with Java", Wiley Publishing, ISBN-13:978-0-7645-9633-9 &
> ISBN-10: 0-7645-9633-0.  I highly recommend that BouncyCastle users,
> cryptographic application developers, or Java security developers buy
> and study the book.  It not only provides an excellent user's guide to
> BC, but it also provides a straightforward description of modern-day
> cryptographic methods.  I've already solved several ASN.1 devlopment
> issues via text explanations.
>
> Well done, David!
>
> Thanks,
>
> yhe

Re: Beginning Cryptography with Java

Simon Mottram

Ordered from Amazon, grats on going live!

Simon

Simon Mottram
Office: +64 (09) 377 8341
Mob: +64 (021) 898 673

David Hook <[hidden email]>

24/08/2005 12:17 p.m.

"Young H. Etheridge" <[hidden email]>
cc
"'[hidden email]'" <[hidden email]>
Subject
Re: [dev-crypto] Beginning Cryptography with Java

Thanks! (And phew! There were times where I was wondering if I'd just
spent 450 pages writing "I am a fish!").

Funnily I haven't seen a copy yet, I imagine they're still swimming
across the Pacific, but the electronic resources associated with the
book are now available on the web also. For anyone who's interested I've
added a link to the examples off

http://www.bouncycastle.org/resources.html

PS. On the subject of books, another personal favorite of mine is
"Practical Cryptography" by Ferguson and Schneier. Some people don't
like the book, in some places it can seem a little high handed and even
confusing, but it is a book that forces you to think about the more
insidious issues involved with cryptography.

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 14:44 -0400, Young H. Etheridge wrote:
> I just received my Amazon.com copy of David Hook's book, "Beginning
> Cryptography with Java", Wiley Publishing, ISBN-13:978-0-7645-9633-9 &
> ISBN-10: 0-7645-9633-0.  I highly recommend that BouncyCastle users,
> cryptographic application developers, or Java security developers buy
> and study the book.  It not only provides an excellent user's guide to
> BC, but it also provides a straightforward description of modern-day
> cryptographic methods.  I've already solved several ASN.1 devlopment
> issues via text explanations.
>
> Well done, David!
>
> Thanks,
>
> yhe

Re: Beginning Cryptography with Java

Kosch
On Tuesday 23 August 2005 20:44, you wrote:
> I just received my Amazon.com copy of David Hook's book, "Beginning
> Cryptography with Java", Wiley Publishing, ISBN-13:978-0-7645-9633-9 &
> ISBN-10: 0-7645-9633-0.  I highly recommend that BouncyCastle users,

I think David should make an "hint" to this book public on the bc website...

Hm... all my Wrox press books have baered man on their cover, seems to be a
Wrox-fetish. ;-)

kind regards,
Thomas

--

inubit - integrating your business and IT http://www.inubit.com
Thomas Fromm, inubit AG [hidden email]
Freecall 0800-go inubit, Tel +49(30)726112-135, Fax -100

Re: Beginning Cryptography with Java

Megan Woods-2

Thomas Fromm wrote:

Hm... all my Wrox press books have baered man on their cover, seems to be a
Wrox-fetish. ;-)

I would tend to agree, but here is a book in my library that does not
quite fit your model for Wrox author selection.

"Professional Apache Tomcat 5", also co authored by a person on this list.

Features only a small amount of facial hair on one of the people shown
on the cover.

Megan

Re: Beginning Cryptography with Java

David Hook-4

Perhaps they're really a graphic designer, can't be too sure with books
related to the web ;-)

Yes, it is kind of "interesting" looking at the cover photos. As an
aside, when the book process first started I accidentally sent a photo
of my cat rather than myself - the reply I got indicated that he
probably has far too much facial hair...

PS. as for recommending the book, at least when you see the cover you'll
know it can't have been just for my good looks that they published it!
Anyone who does use a copy of it, please feel free to contact me with
feedback.