Quantcast

BC vs JCAJCE Package

Goyal, Arpit

Hello BouncyCastle,

We are using Bouncy Castle library for both signing and decryption/encryption capability by generating PGP Key Pairs. We would like to understand the difference between the two?

We were trying to find some documentation to figure out which one should be used. One of the colleagues think the below statement is correct, can you confirm or provide the right difference?

- The API that is in the package org.bouncycastle.openpgp.operator.bc is for BC lightweight operators which I believe is for Mobile devices which runs on J2ME.

- The API in the package org.bouncycastle.openpgp.operator.jcajce is for JCA/JCE based operators which I believe is for Applications running on J2SDK.

Like what is the difference between BcPGPKeyPair vs JcaPGPKeyPair?

Regards,

Arpit.