BC FIPS news

David Hook
Hi all,

The BC FIPS Java 1.0.0 release has now been certified. Details are at:

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/140val-all.htm#2768

Further news soon.

Re: BC FIPS news

Arshad Noor
Congratulations, David!

You accomplished something with free and open-source software that
neither Sun nor Oracle accomplished in 20 years.  Kudos!

Arshad

On 10/12/2016 07:19 PM, David Hook wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The BC FIPS Java 1.0.0 release has now been certified. Details are at:
>
> http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/140val-all.htm#2768
>
> Further news soon.
>
> Regards,
>
> David

RE: BC FIPS news

Kamal, Murali
This is fantastic news.

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,
Murali.
The BC FIPS Java 1.0.0 release has now been certified. Details are at:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__csrc.nist.gov_groups_STM_cmvp_documents_140-2D1_140val-2Dall.htm-232768&d=DQICaQ&c=_hRq4mqlUmqpqlyQ5hkoDXIVh6I6pxfkkNxQuL0p-Z0&r=YiCIGsJSexwkYhpMv-QeygViM4PXGbWm1FGe-nS707s&m=vADWBd1rVt0rdNj3-2NKcZQPtLb_Eax8s9HKyv1G07Q&s=QoYvqfTCe_sfvTgyVJBmreelBv06IChwL5ygZ_f7Y4s&e=

Further news soon.

Re: BC FIPS news

Matthew Hall

> On Oct 12, 2016, at 7:29 PM, Arshad Noor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Congratulations, David!
>
> You accomplished something with free and open-source software that neither Sun nor Oracle accomplished in 20 years.  Kudos!
>
> Arshad

It is a pretty unique achievement and very impressive. But we should be clear that they did offer a FIPS certification from Red Hat if you ran Java with the PKCS#11 Provider, libnss, and libsecmod. So it was an imperfect solution indeed but not completely nonexistent.

Matthew.

Re: BC FIPS news

Arshad Noor
On 10/12/2016 11:45 PM, Matthew Hall wrote:

>> On Oct 12, 2016, at 7:29 PM, Arshad Noor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Congratulations, David!
>>
>> You accomplished something with free and open-source software that neither Sun nor Oracle accomplished in 20 years.  Kudos!
>>
>> Arshad
>
> It is a pretty unique achievement and very impressive. But we should be clear that they did offer a FIPS certification from Red Hat if you ran Java with the PKCS#11 Provider, libnss, and libsecmod. So it was an imperfect solution indeed but not completely nonexistent.
>
> Matthew.

I don't want to belabor the point, Matthew, but *any* company in the
world can offer an "imperfect" solution if they hook it up to a FIPS
certified library/device.  That these companies chose not to invest in
certifying their implementation despite having tens of thousands of
employees and tens of billions of dollars at their disposal reflects
on their vision and priorities.

Little wonder that one bit the dust and the other is a dinosaur waiting
for the impact of the "open-source comet" to take effect.

Arshad